Shire Of Jerramungup Bremer Bay WA
Shire Of Jerramungup Bremer Bay WA


In 1835 John Septimus Roe, the states first Surveyor General, led an expedition to explore the country between Perth & King George III Sound. On this journey he explored part of what was to become the Gnowangerup Shire, travelling east as far as the Pallinup River. In 1848 he led a further expedition to explore the south eastern part of the colony with the express purpose of evaluating it potential for future grazing and possible coal mining. 

In October, Roe recorded in his journal that:

” We are gladdened by the view of a large extent of good grassy country to the N.E. lightly timbered and at this time well watered by a river and its numerous branches. It is known by the natives as Jeer-a-mung-up…the valleys were lightly wooded with Yate, Casuarina and Black Wattles.


By the closing years of the Second World War, the Rural Construction Commission was considering the possibilities of developing or aquiring properties for returned servicemen. Their considerations resulted in the passage of the War Service Land Settlement Agreement Act of 1945. Under this act the Commonwealth could provide the funds for farm purchase and development by ex-servicemen and undertake to accept 60% of any resulting losses, (the remaining 40% could be accepted by the State). The Land Settlement Board was established in 1948 to operate the scheme in Western Australia. Initially 446 existing properties were purchased , subdivided and developed, including “Jerramongup” which was sold by the Hassell family to the crown in 1950.


Jerramungup is 454km south of Perth at the intersection of the South Coast Highway (National Route 1) and the Gnowangerup – Jerramungup Road. The western gateway to the Fitzgerald Biosphere a drive of about 5 hours. It is the Shire host ans comprises of the towns & localities of, Jerramungup, Bremer Bay, Boxwood Hill, Needilup, Fitzgerald River, Gairdner & Jacup.

TransWA stops at the Lions Park (South Coast Highway) on the Perth – Esperance Journey and back on the Esperance – Perth Journey. Grab tickets online or phone 1900662205.


Take a stroll through Jerramungup’s Biosphere Garden and experience a taste of the botanical diversity of the Fitzgerald River National Park. The garden can be accessed via winding pathways through bushland, giving you the experience of the different landforms of the Biosphere and is located next to a fantastic playground and BBQ area, perfect for kids and adults alike.

Grab a Fiori coffee and some freshly made lunch from Tobruks Cafe before you head out to explore the National Park and surrounds. Remember to keep your eyes open for some magic during wildflower season.

Follow the Heritage Trail around town and uncover the rich history of the area. Click here to access the brochure or pop into the Community Resource Centre at the Shire Office

Stop in and have a look around the local Jerramungup Op Shop.

The Jerramungup Entertainment Centre provides an excellent venue for cultural events. The Jerramungup sporting complex is located next to the Entertainment Centre and provides the following facilities: tennis, basketball, and netball courts, 18 hole golf course, football oval, hockey field, cricket pitch and bowling green.